As most dog owners know, canine companions can be extremely curious. Although this inquisitive nature is quite endearing, it can unfortunately lead to the ingestion of a variety of harmful objects, including dangerous household plants. These plants, when eaten, can result in weakness, vomiting, diarrhea, abnormal urine, difficulty breathing, and even death. If your dog does ingest one of these harmful pets, visit your animal hospital right away for emergency care. Some of the most common harmful plants for dogs include:
- Although these flowers do not generally pose a deadly threat to dogs, their ingestion can lead to mild gastrointestinal stress or a mild inflammation of the skin.
- Calla lilies contain insoluble oxalates that result in various gastrointestinal symptoms, such as drooling, vomiting, intense irritation of the mouth and throat, and difficulty swallowing.
- The stems, leaves, and seeds of the apple tree contain toxic amounts of cyanide, especially during wilting.
- A begonia is a small flowering plant that exists in over 1,000 species. The tubers are the most toxic part of the plant and contain higher amounts of insoluble oxalates than the rest of the plant.
- This plant is not only poisonous to canines, but can also adversely affect humans, cattle, horses, goats, and sheep. All parts of this plant are toxic, including the stem, leaves, and flowers.
If your beloved pet is in need of medical care, consider visiting the veterinarians at Hudson Veterinary Hospital. Our team strives to provide the highest quality of compassionate, advanced care to each of our patients. If you would like to learn more about our comprehensive veterinary services in Ossining, NY, call us today at (914) 502-2523.